Saturday, February 6

Your Xanga Subscription Digest

Daily Update from Your Subscriptions!
Date: Friday, February 05, 2010
Username: ira27snider

Latest Updates from featuredquestions
Pretend it is 2060 (fifty years in the future). Describe a typical day in a typical community.
submitted by radicalramblings
view answers - answer it!
Posted 2/5/2010 at 1:19 PM


Latest Updates from featuredweblogs
Unique Astro-Valentine ideas.

I know what you're probably gonna do, those of you who happen to be in relationships this Valentines day, which is probably most of you.  You are going to wait until about two days before Valentines day, and then you're gonna say to yourself "Gah, I ought to think of something!"  Then you will do what everyone else does, which is to go to Walgreens or the local grocery store, and pick up a card and either some flowers or some candy or a stuffed animal or some combination of all three...or maybe even a balloon and a bottle of wine.  Then, the two of you will go to dinner at Red Lobster and one of whatever movies is on that night.  Hey, I'm old, I know how these things work!  YAWN!

 

To that I say, wait just a second!  Isn't that a little boring?  How about thinking about something unique or unusual, planned with their astrological sun sign in mind?  So here I have some of ol' loonsounds astrohumor to offer you up some fambalicious suggestions!

More Here...
Posted 2/5/2010 at 1:52 AM - add eprops - add comments

Does Splitting the Check Make You a Cheapskate?

A lot of etiquette tips tend to raise my hackles. It's not because I like being rude or anything, but I feel like so much of the advice given is completely outdated and irrelevant to my life. For example, I suppose hostess gifts are a nice thing for older people who actually host dinner parties, but they don't fit in at all with the ways I hang out with my friends.

One topic in particular always seems to elicit tips that are particularly unhelpful: dining out. Most of the etiquette classics recommend either rotating who picks up the check among friends, or, if you must split the check, split it evenly among the all the parties.  I've always been careful about what I order and don't drink alcohol, so my portion of bills is always significantly less than everyone else's. Following the classic rules would just negate my attempts to watch my budget. Not to mention it doesn't seem fair to make me pay for someone else's meal unless I want to, friend or not.

I'm lucky in that all my friends are in similar positions, so no one thinks it's rude for me to suggest we only pay for what we actually order. But it's made me wonder two things: Does anyone actually think it's bad form these days to split a check? And would someone sacrifice their budget just to abide by rules of etiquette and avoid looking gauche? 

My guess was that most people would answer "No" to both of these questions these days, but I found some quotes online that have proven me wrong.

More Here...
Posted 2/5/2010 at 2:59 AM - add eprops - add comments

www.xanga.com

No comments: